The increasing popularity of podcasts worldwide comes with no surprise, especially considering the incredible benefits they have for people of all ages!
If you’re enjoying newfound freedom in retirement and want to start learning something new, why not listen to a podcast or two! Below we explain the basics of a podcast, the benefits of listening to podcasts, and suggest some great options for you to delve into. Read on to learn more and enjoy independent senior living at Fairview to the fullest!
What is a podcast?
If you’re familiar with the radio, then think of podcasts as radio programmes that you can listen to whenever you like on a range of different devices! You don’t need to tune in on the right day or at an exact time to listen to them. As long as you have a device to use, you can enjoy podcasts whenever you’re ready. Podcasts can cover just about any topic and cater to any interest. Whether you’re interested in listening to true crime, history, health and well-being, sports, or your favourite comedian cracking jokes, podcasts allow you to do just that!
There are many benefits of listening to podcasts besides pure entertainment. In fact, there are many ways that podcasts can help seniors enjoy their time and improve their lives.
Benefit of listening to podcasts:
- Podcasts are portable. Convenient and easy to consume, podcasts are your own portable library that you can take anywhere!
- Great for multi-tasking. Whether you’re on the bus, gardening at home, or simply going for a nice walk this summer, you can listen to podcasts while you are multi-tasking.
- Podcasts are personal. Because podcasts are designed to be consumed in a more intimate way than reading a book or an email, they can be comforting to listen to and make learning a more personal experience for you, the listener.
- Podcasts make learning easy. With podcasts, you can learn something new every day. You can listen to a history podcast one day and listen to a wellness podcast the next.
- Podcasts can be listened to on repeat. It doesn’t matter if you have a forgetful memory, you can easily relisten to podcasts over again as many times as you want.
Where can I listen to podcasts?
There are several ways you can listen to podcasts, and you can listen to them easily on devices like smartphones, computers, tablets, and other digital devices.
Podcasts can be played on a variety of streaming services or listening apps, listed below.
- Spotify– you can use Spotify to not only listen to podcasts but all your favourite music as well.
- Google Podcast– the Google Podcasts App is another excellent way to listen to podcasts.
- Apple’s Podcasts– if you have an Apple device, then you can enjoy listening to podcasts from Apple’s very own app.
- Besides these three, there are many podcast applications available for free, including Pocket Casts, RadioPublic, and Player FM to name a few.
Choosing your topics
In this day and age, opening an app and trying to choose between hundreds of podcasts is like walking into a library with endless genres to choose from. It can be hard to know where to even begin, so we’ve made it easy for you. Below, we’ve compiled a list of genres and popular podcasts for each that you can explore and enjoy to your heart’s content.
1. True Crime
For those adventurous people who love thrilling and intriguing tales of crime, there is a whole range of podcasts to satisfy. A few of the most popular choices include “Serial”, “In the Dark”, “Criminal”, and “My Favorite Murder”.
2. History Podcasts
If learning about history is something you like, then listening to history podcasts is an excellent choice for you! “Stuff You Missed In History Class” is an intriguing podcast that brings you all the greatest and strangest historical knowledge.
3. Interactive Podcasts
Interactive podcasts are podcasts that you can fully participate in. An excellent example is “Good Job Brain!”, a podcast great for mental stimulation and learning in a fun quiz-style trivia that you can enjoy with friends and family.
4. Old Time Radio Show Podcasts
If you’re feeling nostalgic and want to listen to a blast from the past, “Lux Radio Theatre” is a podcast that was originally a radio show produced in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s. You can listen to adapted stage plays and films of all kinds here.
5. Economy Focused Podcasts
If you love keeping up with the world economy, then “Planet Money” is the go-to podcast for you. The podcast combines informative insights with wit and humour and is an enlightening podcast for anyone wanting to stay up to date on economic matters.
6. Health & Wellbeing Podcasts
If you’re interested in maintaining or improving your own health and wellbeing, then listening to podcasts can be a great opportunity to listen and learn from the experts! Out top recommendations for health and wellbeing podcasts include “The Ultimate Health Podcast”, “Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations”, “Happier With Gretchen Rubin”, and “Eckhart Tolle Podcasts”.
Enjoy listening to your favourite podcasts from your home at Fairview
Found a podcast to explore? Enjoy listening from the comfort of your own retirement home at Fairview! With the convenience of podcasts, you can easily multitask while you listen. You can go for a walk, paint a picture, or start a new knitting pattern while listening to your favourite podcast.
If you’re interested in enjoying your retirement in one of the best retirement villages in Auckland, contact us today to register your interest! We’ll gladly take you on a tour of our lovely grounds and show you our excellent facilities and lifestyle opportunities in person.